Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

Serenity

Friday, August 15, 2008

I have a friend who's been struggling with family issues ever since I first knew her. Decades after, it's still the main conflict in her life. I was chatting with her yesterday about her issues with her brother and I realized that her problem was control. Whether it was an event in her life, a friend, family, she had to be in control of their actions, of the outcome, of everything.

She has a good heart and I know that this comes from wanting the best for everyone. The thing is, life is full of surprises and most of what happens in our lives cannot be controlled. And certainly our family, husbands, friends, siblings, children should not be controlled.

As for her brother, she told me that she decided not to talk to him anymore and has not done so in about a year. I said if that's what will give you peace and quiet, then so be it. Reconciliation will come when it is time. What is holding her back in this situation is her desire for her brother to respect her feelings and her individuality. I told her you cannot change your brother. Just let it be.

Just let it be. This is what I learned from P. Know that you did the best you could and leave the rest to the experts...to Him. Know when to let go. I used to be like my friend. I believed in positive thinking and that nothing cannot be changed or fixed if one wants it badly enough. After all the tribulations I've been through in my life, I've learned to simply let go. This little prayer really works for me:


God Grant Me The Serenity
To Accept The Things I Cannot Change
Courage To Change The Things I Can
And The Wisdom To Know The Difference
and
Psalm 121:3 - He will not allow your foot to slip; He who keeps you will not slumber.

2 comments:

Claire August 18, 2008 at 9:15 AM  

Good thinking. I like that prayer too.

Post a Comment

Share |