Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

What does "Twerp" Really Mean?

Friday, May 7, 2010

When my friend Bex was organizing a baby shower for me while pregnant with Via, she sent emails to all our friends with the subject "L'il Twerp." I kinda liked the sound of it and started calling unborn Via twerp and even after she was born.


When I posted Via's newborn pics calling her twerp, a lot of my friends reacted. "Why are you calling her twerp?" She is a blessing and on and on and on. For me it was an endearment much like calling a younger brother an "Imp or bonehead."

And so I was compelled to look up the meaning of twerp.

Twit; Simpleton; Simple: a person lacking intelligence or common sense (www.thefreedictionary.com)

A person regarded as insignificant, contemptible, presumptuous, ridiculous, etc. (www.yourdictionary.com)

An annoying runt of a person. (http://dictionary.reference.com)

stupid person. (www.macmillandictionary.com)

After a long search I finally found the meaning that I was looking for from wiktionary.org: Sometimes used as a pet-name (often for a younger sibling); Small child or person, knee high to a grass (an English idiom). So there!

9 comments:

HiPnCooLMoMMa May 7, 2010 at 10:57 PM  

add mo pa to, from urbandictionary

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=twerp

The Fitness Diva May 8, 2010 at 10:36 AM  

That newborn pic of her is priceless! How adorable! It made me smile as soon as I saw it! ;)

Morten Pedersen May 9, 2010 at 4:19 PM  

Your Entrecard is showing - No such user ??

*MrsMartinez* May 13, 2010 at 9:00 AM  

Via is so cute. I like her eyes. So big even as a baby...
xoxo

Aileen A August 1, 2013 at 6:55 PM  

I like your blog's new layout :-) By the way sis, how do I follow you back? I see you in my GFC but I don't see that here in your blog. Been meaning to ask you for quite sometime...just kept forgetting hehehe...

Twerp is a cute word and something I would call my little nephew, asid from the Li'l Imp hehehe...

jellybelly August 1, 2013 at 7:13 PM  

Hi Aileen! I removed GFC sometime ago when they announced that they were discontinuing it on blogger.

I like lil imp too :)

Kristine Gavilano August 1, 2013 at 7:38 PM  

Hi sis! I love this new look you've got in here. I feel at home, really!...

jellybelly August 2, 2013 at 4:53 PM  

Hi Kristine, got tired of maintaining my own domain. It was too much work. So back to free blogger and relaxed blogging :)

Marie Bulatao August 23, 2013 at 3:58 PM  

Oh, so that is what the twerp in your blog means! I also use terms of endearment to my kids

Post a Comment

Share |