Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

How Rude!

Monday, August 16, 2010

We were at Powermac in Megamall Cyberzone yesterday looking for a cover for P's ipad. The store displays all the ipods and macbooks, etc. they have which people can try out. The ipod touch caught my eye because it was showing new games. Via and I went over there to check it out and P soon joined us. We were discussing which games to download when we were rudely pushed by a chubby boy of about 7 years old. I turned to look and he kept on shoving himself between us trying to get to the ipod touch all the while pushing P and me away with his hands. I heard a woman behind us, who I assumed was his mother, weakly call out something like "Aki." Probably his name. That was all. She went on about her business and the boy kept pushing us out of the way. I stared at the boy in disbelief. I have never seen such rudeness! I wanted to stand my ground and see what he would do next but then I thought, never mind. He's not my kid. 

I noticed that many kids these days lack manners and are loud and obnoxious. It bothers me even more that they seem to come from middle to upper class families and go to exclusive private schools. We seem to be raising a generation of brats and kids who feel entitled. Parents often don't have time to teach their children the values that were taught the generation before because they're busy with work or too many modern-day concerns. These kids are also given toys that cost a month's salary for some people.

It makes me worry what kind of world my daughter will be growing up in. I hope we are able to teach her old fashioned values and lay a good foundation before she goes off to school and be exposed to other children who might have a bad influence.

Small children should also not be given high tech, expensive gadgets as toys. It sends them the wrong message of having something expensive and not earning it. Also, it discourages them from going out, socializing and playing with other children their age.

Raising children is a big responsibility and very challenging, but more so in the environment that we are in now.



9 comments:

HiPnCooLMoMMa August 16, 2010 at 10:15 AM  

i noticed that too, and parents are just busy finding ways to earn more and more money that they forget they have children to attend to.

as much as possible i try to raise up my kids the old fashion way too. what i'm proud about them is that even if they have the gadgets you've mentioned I still think that I have raised them well kahit papano =)

hey it was nice seeing you and Via and oh the daddy too =)

i wanted to carry via kaso parang takot sakin or di pa sanay. i want to play with her

Cielo August 16, 2010 at 10:17 AM  

I totally agree with you in this....hay kabataan

* Michael * August 16, 2010 at 5:04 PM  

Yes, it is important to teach children manners at as young age as possible.

Zezebel August 16, 2010 at 7:26 PM  

Hi jellybelly.
Everywhere this kind of thing are the same. At my place, some of the kids in the primary school already get pregnant. Its a hard thing to see during my school time.

Annie August 17, 2010 at 2:30 AM  

Funny, I am working on a similar post on my site right now but in relation to traveling with kids. I too do not understand the parents that can allow their kids to act like that. My son always knew how to behave and respect others, especially out in public. Plus the fact that he was not left to wander around without holding my hand in a public place for fear someone would grab him. Although if someone grabbed the kid you are talking about they would probably return him in a hurry!!

StaLira August 17, 2010 at 3:24 AM  

That was really rude. Discipline should be imposed to that kid.

There is a video widely shared in Facebook about this wild boy who needs a lot of whipping.

Kids nowadays are rough. Am afraid for my lil one.

A Mom's Note

Tetcha August 17, 2010 at 6:08 AM  

The problem really lies in the lack of time of parents in teaching their kids good values. Because I work at home and I'm the one who drops my son off at school and sees what he does the whole day, I'm able to spot some of his not-so-good attitudes, and I'm able to tell him they're not good and why he should not do them again. Thanks for this post; it's a real eyeopener!

jellybelly August 17, 2010 at 9:05 AM  

Girlie: It was great to see you too with Josh and N :)

jellybelly August 17, 2010 at 9:09 AM  

Thanks all for sharing your comments.

@Annie: Same with me I keep my hand on my daughter all the time or if it's not too crowded I let her walk but always within my sight and arm's reach because I'm afraid someone might steal her like you. Scary also that many people kidnap kids for business.

@Tetcha: It's why I really envy mom's who can stay or work from home like you. You can really make sure they learn what you want them to learn.

Post a Comment

Share |