Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

A Big Scare

Friday, October 21, 2016

Friday night I got home late because I participated in the badminton tournament at our office. I was looking forward to a hot shower and snuggling in bed to continue reading Robert Ludlum's Covert One series. Via was watching The Last Airbender cartoon series for the nth time. I asked her if she took her meds, seretide puff and Montelukast. She had a couple of asthma attacks this month so she's on medication for 30 days to control it. As I asked her, I looked at the box of Montelukast at the same time and saw it almost empty. I said, "Where are your medicines?" She shrugged her shoulders and said, "Don't know." I told her to look for it, maybe under the table, maybe it spilled. That was when she said, "Well, I ate them all. They were yummy!" At first I just stared at her. Then what she said sunk in and shouted, " What?!!!!" She repeated that it was yummy.

I called Daddy immediately to ask what him what to do. He said calmly to watch out for vomiting, headaches, nausea, etc. (I don't know how he was so calm when it's his daughter! Doctors! Bah!) If it happens, bring Via immediately to the ER. I was reassured by his calmness though so I proceeded to take a shower. After my shower though, doubt crept in and I decided to bring Via to the ER just the same. I told Via to get dressed. 

It was almost 10 pm. We found a taxi and went to the ER in Medical City. We haven't been here in a while so I didn't know that the ER for children is now separate from the adults. Which is a good thing. We walked to the other side to the children's ER. We were immediately attended to. Via's vital signs were checked. Then we waited while they were contacting Poison Control. While waiting 2 more ER resident doctors chatted with Via as to why she took all the meds. She told them all the same thing, that is was yummy! After about 20 minutes, the first doctor came back and said that Montelukast was not high in toxicity. Via was to rest and drink lots of water to flush it out and that's it.

Whew! That's a load off my mind. I know Daddy was also not worried but I couldn't help myself. It would be different if her were here since he's a doctor but he's not. I felt better bringing Via to the ER. So we went home and went to bed. I was exhausted.

The next day, Via told me that while I was in the shower getting ready to go to the ER, she prayed to God that everything would be okay. At least that's the good thing. She is learning to trust and depend on God.





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share |