Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

Losing Patience

Wednesday, July 2, 2014


If you're a mom, you would have lost your patience with your child at least once or several times :) I know I have. I promised myself to never hit my child or raise my voice no matter how stubborn she got. Easier said than done. I have been pushed to the limits of my patience so many times and have given in to yelling and in a few instances, hitting. The hitting was nothing more than a light tap mostly on her butt or her hands, but it was still hitting. So when a couple of friends on Facebook shared this article on yelling at kids, I read with trepidation. I knew I would be guilty.

One Sunday, Via was particularly stubborn. Before going in a restaurant to eat, we went to the restroom. I wanted her to pee so she wouldn't say I need to go to the bathroom in the middle of the meal, especially when there is no bathroom in the restaurant and we have to go to the end of the mall. Well she wouldn't. "I'm not wiwi." Most of the time she is but just doesn't want to go. Well this time I lost my patience and swatted her butt. Another time she wouldn't take her antibiotics and spit it out when she did. Lost my temper and shouted at the top of my voice, "take your medicine!"

That night though, I saw the article again, it was shared several times, and remembered what I did that day. I sat down beside Via in bed and said that I was sorry I spanked her and shouted at her sometimes when she was particularly stubborn. Her eyes filled with tears. I knew then that her feelings were hurt. But the way children usually are, she was quick to forgive and said that we will remind each other whenever we forget and raise our voices.

3 comments:

sanna velasco August 13, 2014 at 4:17 AM  

I am such a softie when it comes to my daughter. The thought of yelling breaks my heart but like you, i just lose it sometimes and i yell at her, but all the same time I feel shattered whenever I do. :( its difficult not to lose patience but I keep working on it.

Melgie Campbell August 15, 2014 at 2:04 AM  

I lost my patience many time but I like to keep it cool and divert my attention into something else so that I won't be yelling at the kids. Happy Birthday, Sis. Hope to see you soon back in Commex:)

Mayette Domencil August 16, 2014 at 11:04 AM  

I am as guilty as you sis. There are times I cannot control may self especially when I am so stressed and tired. I have to remind my self that hurting my son will never do good on both of us. But I am doing my best to be more patient and to listen to him first.

Post a Comment

Share |