Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

Natural Remedies VS Modern Medicine

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Guest post by Rick MD.

On one occasion, I met a couple who were working in the health industry. I had an interesting conversation with them. Apparently, the husband works with natural remedies while his wife is a physician, but not practicing.

The husband declared that medication is poison. I replied that, to some degree, I agreed with him but that I still believe, in some cases, medication is really needed. He then challenged me to give an example where medication is needed. I cited has high fever. The patient would need medication to relieve the symptoms. No, he disagreed. High fever can be remedied by drinking plenty of water. He added that he has natural remedies for all conditions. Wow! That is interesting.

Then it was my turn to challenge him. How about HIVAIDS, I asked. He replied that he also has a remedy for that. Now this sounded like quack medicine to me. At first, I agreed with him that medication not used in the proper way is poison. But when he said he had remedies for all conditions, that is a different story. It seemed to me that he disagreed with modern medicine because it contained chemicals. I did not prolong the argument. My guess is that he has had this kind of discussion many times on many different occasions. 

Afterwards, I realized that there are many other instances where medication is really needed. I believe that the discovery of medicine itself is a blessing for the human race. A long time ago, people died from a simple wound infection. The discovery of penicillin is a blessing in treating infections. Penicillin was accidentally developed from a natural source, fungi. Finally, as a Christian, I believe that medicines are blessings from Above.

However, the use of the medication is often abused by people. Heroin can be very useful for those severe pain or those who have had a surgical procedure. There are those, however, that use it as a recreational drug.

Yes, all chemicals foreign to our body have side effects. I do not deny it. That is why it is very important to discuss the cost and benefit of medication prescribed by your physician. Never use medication without the supervision of your physician.

Nowadays, many people claim that they can treat all kinds of diseases in this world with natural remedies. Diabetes can be fully treated. Cancer is not a problem anymore. It is surprising that many people choose these alternative treatments. One of the main reasons could be that modern medicine itself admitted that it cannot cure all diseases. As is human nature, we try to seek an alternative.

At the end of our conversation, he said that modern medicine is needed in emergency situations but not for daily use. At last we found a common ground. I agreed with his statement. Chronic diseases such as hypertension, diabetes mellitus type 2, stroke, heart attack are due to unhealthy lifestyle. Natural remedies can be used to prevent them. Water, grains, vegetables are actually some of the natural remedies that we found in our daily life in combination with a healthy and active lifestyle.






19 comments:

Meikah Ybañez-Delid August 16, 2013 at 5:42 PM  

Useful post! I have often wondered which is more effective of the two. I guess prevention is the key. :)

Marie Angeli Laxa August 21, 2013 at 9:36 AM  

Nice guest post! I also learned from Bo Sanchez this method of treating fever: bed rest for the entire day and a liquid diet. That's it!

Melgie Campbell August 21, 2013 at 9:41 AM  

Great post! I never thought of any home remedies. I usually go for over the counter medicine if something is up.

Marielle Faye Garcia August 21, 2013 at 10:53 AM  

There sure is a big debate on which is better, natural or medical. However, it does depend in most cases. When i do have fever or colds, I still do love using natural remedies like Calamansi juice, oregano and such coz i always found them effective. However, there are instances that natural remedies are not enough, and it sure is great that we have these modern medicines readily available in case we do need them. :)

Allan August 21, 2013 at 12:38 PM  

In my case, I am considering alternative medicines like herbals. Sometimes, there are better remedies the natural way compared to western ways. There is nothing wrong in trying alternatives.

Sabbatical Gal August 21, 2013 at 1:24 PM  

as much as possible, i seek the natural remedies for viral infections but leave it to doctors when all else fail or in when it's an emergency. and you're right, prevention is key to avoiding unnecessary medication. :)

Lady Anne Abit August 21, 2013 at 3:02 PM  

Yes to natural way of healing! Although I work in the healthcare sector, I don't rely on medicines agad. If I have a sore throat or flu, I take fruits rich in vitamin c muna, if hindi talaga kaya then that's the time I decide to seek for a doctor's advice.

Jhari August 21, 2013 at 10:09 PM  

Sometimes it's nice to use natural home remedies than drinking meds. For example for simple colds, I let my kids lots of water and fresh juice first on the 1st day. Then pag di nagamot on the 2nd day, that's the time I gave them medicines na.

Mayette Domencil August 22, 2013 at 2:45 PM  

Both is helpful. But like what he said, the western medicine just became deadly because of the misusage and abused. In my opinion, as much as possible I prefer natural remedies and medicines. We cannot deny the fact that most medicines to be able to reproduce in a huge amount, they chemically synthesize the ingredients. But, this came naman from a long research and studies so as long as it's rightfully use, they claim it's safe for us. So if it's an emergency situation I will still use the western/modern medicines.

Rose August 23, 2013 at 9:38 PM  

i'm guilty of doing self-medication especially if i'm just suffering from fever. my dad, on the other hand, is too dependent on medicines. but i agree with most comments here though that prevention is key. better safe than sorry.

Kristine Gavilano August 24, 2013 at 2:04 AM  

They are both useful in different levels. I rely on herbal medicines but I use them externally for my son as long as the illness is just minor. Of course, it's another thing when the illness is serious. In adults, I personally know people who eat or drink herbs and fruits known to prevent a certain disease such as cancer to minimize their risk. Still another relative drinks a home made tea out of "alibhon" which she proved to be effective in lowering her blood sugar and tricglycerides. On the other hand, I still believe that we need the modern medicines, obviously.

Dominique Goh August 24, 2013 at 9:32 PM  

Healthy eating and taking things in moderation is the key I feel. Some medications can't be avoided in certain cases but if possible I also do take natural remedies for certain conditions.

JanzCrystalz January August 25, 2013 at 9:24 AM  

Modern medicines are useful in emergency situation, while natural remedies are only applicable to mild illness and also for daily maintenace. Healthy lifestyle really is the key to prevent our body from getting those killer diseases.

kat August 26, 2013 at 9:30 PM  

Interesting conversation. Personally, I try to avoid medication. I believe that the body can heal itself. Rest and proper nutrition are two natural remedies that can heal many conditions.

The only time I rely on medication is when I travel by land. I take bonamine. :(

Rosemarie/Gven-Rose August 26, 2013 at 9:41 PM  

I try home remedies for simple cough but when it get worst then i use the modern medicine

Meikah Ybañez-Delid August 27, 2013 at 2:18 PM  

I recently found out also that natural remedies are effective for prevention, that is the person has no known serious illness yet, and he wants to keep healthy.

kimmy August 30, 2013 at 11:39 PM  

i go for both, hehehe!

eof777 August 31, 2013 at 9:06 PM  

Hi there,
It's been a while but I'm glad to reconnect... I believe that traditional and alternative medicine have their place in the healthcare system. Like you, I agree that some people abuse medicine and then wonder why they are sick.
Personally, I would gladly see my doctor when I have a problem and would use the medicine given. I also see alternative doctors to get supplemental help when needed. I don't think we should abandon traditional medicine but, it is always good to get a second opinion.
As for why people get diseases, there many reasons including the genetic factor. A person can take very good care of himself and do all the right things and still die from a genetic disease passed down from his family. So not all diseases are caused by poor habits. Great post and topic!
Cheers,
Eliz

Post a Comment

Share |