Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

Learning Social Skills

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Like mother, like daughter as some people say. No, Via is not like Mommy. At least not when we talk about social situations. I was very shy growing up. Still am although being an adult requires me to put shyness aside in many situations especially now that I have a daughter. 

Knowing this about myself, I set about exposing Via socially as early as possible, as much as possible. I enrolled her in pre-school at 3 years old, more for the interaction with other kids than academics. We also never fail to attend Sabbath School and join every activity there is. I think I succeeded. 

It helps too that Daddy is good in social situations. I've seen him talk to people from all sorts of backgrounds, from the working class to lawyers, business people etc. He always knew what to talk about with them. I'm amazed at the range of subjects he knows. He can talk politics, religion, current events, entertainment, sports, etcetera. I think she inherited that gene from Daddy. Social skills.

Like Daddy, Via chats with the security guards in our building, with the expat Mommy at my office, with my expat boss and with other children of different nationalities. Always with confidence. None of my trepidation and second guessing myself whether that was a good topic or not.

I saw just how confident she was yesterday. We had lunch and spent the afternoon at her Sabbath School friend Adi's place yesterday. It was Adi's birthday. LJ, another Sabbath School friend, and her mom were also invited. They could have played all night if we didn't put a stop to it at around 7pm.

As we were leaving Adi's unit, there was a boy about 6 years old biking in the corridor. His name was Pom Pom and he was Adi's playmate. So they played a bit with him, running behind the bike. After a couple of minutes, we had to go and started down the stairs. The girls waved goodbye to Pom Pom.

Via called out from the stairs, "Bye Pom Pom. My name is Kristie. You can remember my name" and Pom Pom said, "Bye Kristie."

I won't have to worry about Via handling herself socially but maybe we have to teach her to temper it a little bit.

4 comments:

Glenda August 23, 2013 at 11:27 AM  

A good public relation is a skill. It is one characteristic that is good to develop. It is nice that Via is good in it. :)

Vera August 24, 2013 at 7:37 PM  

Haha, Go Via! We're also thinking that my nephew who will be three by the end of this year, needs more social interaction. We took him with us to a party two weeks ago, and well, let's just say it was evident he wasn't used to playing with other kids.

jellybelly August 24, 2013 at 9:07 PM  

@Vera: I noticed once kids start playing with other kids they make friends easily. Parang they crave having someone to play with.

Meikah YbaƱez-Delid August 26, 2013 at 8:36 PM  

Solid social skills are good to develop. A supre shy individual is not good at all. :)

Post a Comment

Share |