Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

Those Unforgettable Moments

Sunday, June 16, 2013

First time I sampled Ate Annie's cooking. This actually inspired this post. I don't remember what brought me to Becky's house that day for lunch. What I remember is that I just learned I was 10 weeks pregnant a couple weeks back. It was totally unexpected. P panicked. I panicked. When we calmed down, he wanted to go on a vacation to Jakarta to see his bestfriend. He said I can follow two days after but that he wanted 2 days with his friend. Fine with me. 

It was the day before I was leaving for Jakarta that I had lunch at Becky's house. I was very hungry. They had just finished lunch and had a lot leftover so a plate was set for me. I started eating and could not stop until I ate everything in sight. I could not believe it! I'm usually reserved the first time I meet someone because I'm very shy. Ate Annie noticed and told Becky that she should have cooked more rice like she asked but Bex had said the rice was enough. Well, I said in my mind, "it's wasn't enough for me! I'm still hungry and want to eat some more!" What was the food? Adobong clams and adobong pusit!

I realized my crush was really dumb! Come to think of it, I should have known earlier because he was always in the last section. Duh! It was in sixth grade. Their Reading teacher was absent so their class was joined with ours. A story is usually read out loud in Reading class. Every paragraph is read by a different student so that most of the class get a chance to read. When Ariel was called, I sat up straight to give him my full attention. Then....he stumbled on a word. The word was "dimmed" which he read as "dim-eyed" after stuttering a bit. I felt instantly deflated and disappointed. It's not even a big word. Still, he's in my fond memories. He was my BIG elementary crush.

P moments when we had just met. There were a lot but I'll include only these two. Playing badminton with H and G. We won and he was so jubilant he gave me a quick hug like we had just won a super series tournament. Another time, while waiting for our badminton game in the queue, he was asked to play a men's doubles game with these good players. He was a very good badminton player and all the good players wanted to play with him. While this men's doubles game was still ongoing, our turn was called from the queue. Someone else was asked to partner with me to substitute for him. When he saw that, he abruptly left the men's doubles mid game and joined me on the court. He told the other guy to continue the men's doubles game that he left.

My first trip abroad. It was to the US. I was very excited I hardly noticed the 16 hour trip. I saw places I only saw in the movies most notably Lombard Street, cable cars, Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco; Grauman's Chinese Theater and Beverly Hills in LA; Disneyland; whale watching in Monterrey; Hearst Castle; Times Square, the Empire State Bldg, Statue of Liberty, Rockefeller Center, Serendipity and FAO Schwartz in NYC; and Snoopy's hometown in Minnesota.

Photos of Settha Palace Hotel - Hotel Images
Courtesy of TripAdvisor
My first mission (business trip). It was to Laos. I traveled on business class and stayed at the charming Settha Palace in Vientienne. I was picked up from the airport by the hotel's London Taxi Limousine. On my stopover in Bangkok going to Laos, I stayed at Amari Hotel which was connected to the old international airport at Don Muang. I still managed to get lost on my way to the hotel. On return, I stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel in Ploenchit to be near the shopping places. I literally shopped till I dropped.  MBK is the best!  It was my first time to travel and explore another country (or two) by myself. It was exciting and my obsession with having maps helped a lot. The key to traveling abroad!

The moment I saw two lines. I bought a home pregnancy kit upon the urging of my friends when I mentioned at lunchtime that I had not had my period for 2 months. They said get a pregnancy test from the office pharmacy. I told them, don't be ridiculous. It's probably menopause. Still, I bought a pregnancy test right after lunch. I waited until my boss was in a meeting then did the test. The lines were very clear. Two dark pink lines showed. There was no question about it.

The day my Mom and I bought my school bag. It was a very special bag for a first grader. It looked like a trunk with wheels and a key. Back in 1972, I would guess it cost a small fortune but I wanted it so much and my Mom obliged. You could sort of tell I was a spoiled brat. We bought the bag in National Bookstore in Recto. There was a typhoon that day and still we went out to buy it. It was hard to find a taxi to get home. Eventually, we took a kalesa. It was the only ride that could go through the flood. I still vividly remember holding out my arms to reach for my school bag after getting off the kalesa.

Moving to our own home. I was so excited to have my own bedroom. I stayed up all night putting my things in place. I was very happy that my Mom made sure I had enough shelves for my books and a big mirror on my dresser. I have fond memories watering the plants, cutting the grass and planting bulbs. The garden was big and it was very cool and relaxing. We had ivy all around. 

36 comments:

Hanny Namuco June 18, 2013 at 1:15 AM  

It is so nice to remember those good times right...they make you uplifted.

Visiting from BC Bloggers ComEx.

MomMy Hanny

Marielle Faye Garcia August 10, 2013 at 12:51 AM  

The adobo clams/mussels look really good! Never heard of that way of cooking em. Must try that one time! :D

It's great to go back to those memorable moments. Thanks for sharing them with us. :)

maxine musings August 10, 2013 at 9:53 AM  

hahaha...i am really entertained with your fond moments, its so nice you documented and shared with us...i'm tempted to also write my fond memories

maxine musings August 10, 2013 at 10:05 AM  

ay, i forgot to greet i just saw your birth date at the spreadsheet
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

JanzCrystalz January August 10, 2013 at 10:23 AM  

These moments are really worth remembering! especially getting that two lines in pt kit! that's heaven!

Belle August 10, 2013 at 1:34 PM  

Good times are hard to forget. When you try to remember stuff, you even remember the feeling --not just a brain thing :)

jellybelly August 10, 2013 at 2:01 PM  

@ Marielle/Belle: The adobong mussels was really unforgettable for me. Until now I remember not just the feeling but the taste and how bitin the rice was :D

@ Maxine: Yes share you're precious moments with too! That would be a fun meme :) Thanks for the greetings!

@ Janz: The two lines were more of a shock haha


Sabbatical Gal August 10, 2013 at 4:06 PM  

aww... those were happy times. im sure there are more memorable moments for you. thanks for sharing!

Allan August 10, 2013 at 7:47 PM  

I want to try the seafood adobo but a bit scared of the tahong due to red tide. hehehe

Meikah YbaƱez-Delid August 10, 2013 at 8:41 PM  

Wow, those are great memories! :) Make some more!

Lady Anne Abit August 11, 2013 at 3:11 AM  

Lovely moments! I wish I could see those two life changing lines as well.

Dominique Goh August 11, 2013 at 4:00 PM  

Really interesting to recall all the happy moments that you had.
Great to have them documented.
Happy Birthday

Vera August 12, 2013 at 6:51 AM  

Happy birthday, Jellybelly! :) Hope you have a really good one, and add more unforgettable moments to your list :)

Rose August 12, 2013 at 9:08 AM  

these are nice memories! it's nice to be nostalgic every once in a while.

Kristine Gavilano August 12, 2013 at 12:40 PM  

That was so sweet of your husband! Yay! Nakakakilig! =) Ang sarap talaga balikan ng mga good old memories. =)

Marie Angeli Laxa August 12, 2013 at 1:32 PM  

These are all fond memories talaga! It inspires me to go down memory lane, too. Natawa naman ako dun sa old crush mo! Baka naconscious sya? Haha happy birthday!

RonLeyba August 12, 2013 at 1:50 PM  

The adobong tahong from your image above looks really nice. Love it. Thanks for sharing with us some of the greatest memories of your life.

JanzCrystalz January August 12, 2013 at 2:22 PM  

Hmmmm.. sa badminton pala kayo nagkakilala hehehe..sweet!

kat August 12, 2013 at 3:21 PM  

Nice moments. It is like I was there with you eating the Adobong Pusit!

tet ^0^ August 12, 2013 at 3:28 PM  

the adobong clams looks great!!! :) I want to learn how to cook that ^_^

Van Cruz-Gabaza August 13, 2013 at 7:10 AM  

the seafood adobo looks really really yummy! i can already imagine the savory flavor just by looking at the photo! yum! thanks for sharing your fond memories. and happy birthday! :-)

Jhari August 13, 2013 at 11:09 AM  

Waaaaahhh!!! I so love that adobong tahong. FTW!

Jhari August 13, 2013 at 11:11 AM  

Oh btw, happy birthday! Don't forget to email me if you wish to change your URL next week. As a gift, your blog will be included automatically next week whether you comment back on the blogs listed on the sheet :) Oh happy week indeed.

Mayette Domencil August 13, 2013 at 1:41 PM  

Bringing back the memories is indeed fun. My first ever trip abroad is in Bangkok and I do shop at MBK too. If only I have much time I will visit all the tourist spots there.

By the way let me greet you a belated Happy Birthday! Magka-bday kayo ng brother ko =) More blessings!

aby ♥ August 13, 2013 at 2:51 PM  

those were really nice memories to remember. thanks for sharing it with us :)

Melgie Campbell August 13, 2013 at 7:36 PM  

Thanks for sharing all the sweet unforgetable memories.. I love the two sign and the yummy food.. nagutom tuloy ako:)

Khimbyrlee Eerlrybmihk August 13, 2013 at 11:20 PM  

Memories that are worth it. :)

Too bad I don't have a childhood memory. I think it's the most interesting one.

Farida August 13, 2013 at 11:20 PM  

I agree with you that the first experience is always memorable! I'm glad you shared.

Marco Polo Demo August 14, 2013 at 6:22 PM  

Great list of unforgettable moments. Perhaps I should try writing it down as well. The adobo clams/mussels look delicious. I haven't tried it....

Marie August 14, 2013 at 7:48 PM  

Ooh, I love reading your memories. Maybe we could do some memes again for BC Bloggers ano? I think they used to do it but since I have joined there were no memes na

Aileen A August 15, 2013 at 9:59 AM  

I missed those memes...it felt like I was reading one, with this post. These are moments worth remembering and smiling about.

Belated happy birthday sis! :-)

jellybelly August 15, 2013 at 10:08 AM  

@ marie and Aileen: oo nga I remember we used to have memes and we voted on which meme would be done. sana we could bring it back :)

Michelle Villarta-Cabanas August 16, 2013 at 1:40 AM  

Reading about your memorable trip to Bangkok and shopping in MBK makes me reminisce my own memories. Thanks for sharing. :-)

Rosemarie/Gven-Rose August 16, 2013 at 9:10 AM  

happy birthday may you have many more birthdays and blessings to come by the way kinilig amo sa moment with P heheehe

Rose Cavello August 19, 2013 at 10:49 AM  

These are great memories. I love how these are remembered. I'm sure it made you smile.

Post a Comment

Share |