Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

Do It and Do It Well

Saturday, June 8, 2013

I'm at a point in my career where I see very limited chances for promotion. It's just the way it happened with the choices I made. I see my contemporaries passing me by and it makes me feel left behind. The thing is, the place I'm in right now is perfect for me. It's 8-5 with not much work left over at the end of the day. I don't have to work overtime. Only during our peak season for about 2 months and even then, it's not like the overtime I used to do when I was in operations. But I just can't help feeling envious sometimes when I hear of a friend being promoted.

I try to put myself in her place, in the position to which she has been promoted to. Having to travel on business minimum of a week every month or two. One time her business trip lasted a month. I don't want that! I don't want to travel at all and leave Via even for a day. My priority is being in her life daily as much as I can. I can't be a stay at home Mom so I try to limit my time at work to 8-5. Except for the days I play badminton or occasionally go out with my friends (I have to have a life too), I am always with Via. I don't hover. I let her fall down, get her knees scratched, and make mistakes. But I let her know I'm there and that I always have time for her. I always keep this quote in mind:



Being in a department with not much pressure has led me to be "relaxed" with my work. When I first joined the company, I dotted every Is and crossed every T. My files were in order no matter how toxic the day was. They were perfectly tabbed and labelled. You won't see piles of paper waiting to be filed. Now? Not so much. In fact, I don't even do things right away even if they're urgent. I've lost the sense of urgency and the sense of pride in a job well done.

When I was in Jakarta at Kidzania, we bought souvenirs to take home to Via's Sabbath school friends. Three pens. One for Via and one each for Adi and LJ. It was the kind that had many colors. In fact it had eight colors and a mechanical pencil.



What struck me was that the saleslady checked each color of the three pens to see that they were working. That would be 24 colors and 3 mechnical pencils. I almost stopped her to say that's okay. You don't have to check it all. They're just pens. 

But then I realized, she took pride in her work and in a job well done. It made me think about my attitude towards my work. How I don't give it my best anymore despite being paid very well because I keep thinking, it's administrative work. It's nothing important. 

As it says in the bible:

The Bible knows nothing of a hierarchy of labor. No work is degrading. If it ought to be done, then it is good work.

To rejoice in his labor, this is the gift of God. Ecclesiastes 5:19

I resolve to do better. Regain the enthusiasm and conscientiousness I used to have for my work. To do my best in anything I do, no matter how trivial I think it is.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share |