Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

Keeping in Touch

Monday, March 11, 2013

As we grow older, I notice it's harder to keep in touch with friends and relatives. We have more concerns in our lives, especially if we have children, and we feel that there is not enough time in a day to get everything done. But I always say, "kung gusto pwede at gagawan ng paraan, kung ayaw maraming problema."

Just like meeting up with our friend Lou. He was here for his father's funeral in the province. Arrived Tuesday for the wake. Dad buried on Saturday. Sunday going back to the US. He would be flying from the province arriving in Manila at around 1pm Sunday. His flight to the US is 10 pm minus the 3 hour check in, it gave us about 6 hours to spend with him. His wife, Hobbie, was our high school and college friend but she couldn't come with him for this trip.

Lou wanted Vietnamese food for the late lunch as he was sick of Filipino food since he got here. We went to Pho Hoa in Alabang Town Center.

 photo IMG_0160_zpsa4a8273a.jpg

 photo IMG_0152_zps55b4c431.jpg

 photo IMG_0153_zps38a4eec7.jpg

 photo IMG_0154_zpsda08f01b.jpg

 photo IMG_0155-1_zps21d6ec54.jpg

I wasn't able to take a pic of Maggie's food at the other end of the table but she was shocked by how huge the order was. Nakakatawa! Ang laki ng problema nya dahil hindi nya maubos. Via had the chicken lollipop with rice. Allen, the boy, had grilled pork. Lou had a huge bowl with a little of everything. We were all happy with our choices.

 photo IMG_0156-1_zps7944d982.jpg  photo IMG_0157-1_zpsc9befa90.jpg

After our lunch, we headed to the grocery get the stuff that his wife wanted from here: 20 bottles of cream silk conditioner, 10 bottles of Spanish sardines and 2 dozen cans of Hunt's pork and beans. We found that hilarious! We still had time so we wanted dessert. We went to Conti's. At the parking area, Lou repacked everything to fit suitcase and box. Luckily, it did!

 photo IMG_0163_zpsedf402a8.jpg

 photo IMG_0171_zpsf3521511.jpg

Marami na sila tumutulong to repack, so Via and I concentrated on picture taking.

 photo IMG_0165_zps145393b2.jpg

Once again, I was not able to take a photo of everyone's cake. Just this Frozen Mango Bravo and my Viennese Mocha Tort.

 photo IMG_0175_zps3d675cbf.jpg

 photo IMG_0174_zps070dadb4.jpg

Via wanted the Strawberry Shortcake but I didn't like it and I would be the one to finish the cake if she suddenly didn't want to eat anymore. Buti na kumbinsi na mag Viennese Mocha Torte na lang. Brown din naman. She loved it too :)

 photo IMG_0178_zps6a907b10.jpg

 photo IMG_0181_zpsf8dc8e0d.jpg

It could be years again before we see Lou but we will make time to be sure.

37 comments:

RonLeyba March 11, 2013 at 11:45 PM  

I agree with the very first sentence you have here, having a hard time to keep up with friends and for me, even at the outside world. I work at home as a full time dad, and juggling time for the family and for my home work is quite not that easy. Gatherings like the one you had is a good and especial day for any person who is quite busy all year long.

kat March 12, 2013 at 5:52 AM  

Now I miss my friends. We have not gathered to see each other since December.

Meikah Ybanez-Delid March 12, 2013 at 6:19 AM  

I enjoy meet-ups like this one. We also arrange gatherings like this when friends come home for a vacation, and they still miss our stuff here. :D

tyna March 12, 2013 at 7:11 AM  

i love contis and their mango bravo.

Chin chin March 12, 2013 at 7:11 AM  

I haven't tried Vietnamese food. I wonder if it's good. Maybe we'll try Pho HOa some time.

ElizOF March 12, 2013 at 11:40 PM  

Staying in touch with loved ones is so important as we age. Effort is key to making it happen. I agree... The pictures are terrific. :-)
Eliz

Vera March 13, 2013 at 4:03 AM  

It was great that you all got to see him before he left. I also was able to meet up with some friends on Sunday evening. We only had time for dinner, but it feels like we had a lot of kwentos shared between 3 of us girls (plus a husband and baby).

Jhari March 13, 2013 at 5:20 AM  

That's why it's so much fun to reunite with family or friends back home. Good food and fine dine in, perfect!

Lady Anne March 13, 2013 at 5:43 AM  

I also dined at Pho Hoa years back, on the same spot where you dined! Same pa rin ung tables and chairs nila. :)

tet March 13, 2013 at 7:34 AM  

I sooo know the feeling. I don't even have a husband nor kid yet but how come I can't meet my friends and relatives anymore.. too sad! :(

well good for you to meet them.

Linnor March 13, 2013 at 12:56 PM  

the next one hopefully would be under more pleasant circumstances :)

Louise Antonette | Mommy Practicality March 13, 2013 at 2:53 PM  

That's true that you slowly don't keep in touch as often as you would with your friends/relative/family as you get older because of your personal issues/priorities like kids and family. Once in a while get together over coffee is fine. :) As long as you have an understanding with a bff that no matter what life may bring, you're still bffs. :)

Mommy Maye March 13, 2013 at 5:34 PM  

True. When we grow older and have our family, settle down. Ayan na, hindi mahagilap ang isa't isa. Super busy na sa work, family and other things. Hehe. I missed my friends too. Hope we can meet up again soon.

Mommy Maye

Vanessa March 13, 2013 at 6:07 PM  

it's really nice being with long time friends after not seeing them for so long, right? i miss my friends too. and by the way, that frozen mango bravo and mocha torte looks really yum! oh, i'm such a dessert lover! hihi! :-)

reese March 13, 2013 at 6:34 PM  

that was a brief get together but i think that was a cherished meet up
i love conti's cake!

Aileen March 13, 2013 at 6:59 PM  

Yes, it gets to be like that when it comes to spending time with friends when you have your own family to attend to. The last time my college friends and I had a get together with most of us present was year 2008...no follow through anymore. Sadly, even in facebook where it is so easy to drop a note or something, only one of them would initiate to say hello...the others, you'd have to be the one to start a conversation...and yet they always have wall updates hehehe... Good thing my bestfriend, although living far, is never really out of touch.

Dominique Goh March 13, 2013 at 9:54 PM  

I agree that its gets much harder to meet up with friends and keep up with them after getting married, having kids and own careers.. those meets up are really precious.

aby March 14, 2013 at 12:32 AM  

we always go to alabang town center.. baka nasasalubong ko na kyo minsan.. hehe :)

Jellybelly,  March 14, 2013 at 6:21 AM  

probably not :) i hardly
venture outsude of pasig. this was a special occasion.

Jellybelly,  March 14, 2013 at 6:23 AM  

i agree. thats why we made thw effort even on short notice :)

Jellybelly,  March 14, 2013 at 6:25 AM  

with so many networking sites you would think getting together would be easier but its more impersonal and surprisingly harder to connect.

Jellybelly,  March 14, 2013 at 6:26 AM  

me too dessert lover kata so hard to lose weight :)

Jellybelly,  March 14, 2013 at 6:30 AM  

time was short but everyone was talking fast and we covered the i.portant updates :-) so fun diba :-))

Jellybelly,  March 14, 2013 at 6:32 AM  

yummy! mejo healthy too because most dishes havw veggies.

Jellybelly,  March 14, 2013 at 6:33 AM  

funny with the pork n beans no? i was lije, wala yan sa US?? :-))

Jellybelly,  March 14, 2013 at 6:34 AM  

me too mango bravo is my favorite :-)

Farida March 14, 2013 at 4:18 PM  

The quotation is very true... Excuses will continue to come if the person is stubborn enough to do something he dislikes. And I wonder if your friend L is aware that the sardines might not go through customs? When my cousin came back, she brought with her some century tuna cans and she was reprimanded to bring it along with her :-(

Daddy Allan March 14, 2013 at 4:43 PM  

Good thing there are cellphones and internet now. Keepign in touch with our friend is easy as one click.

gremlin mom March 14, 2013 at 9:01 PM  

i remember while i was in college i always hang out with my friends, it didn't occur to me then that after graduation our lives will be different. we are 6 in a group, three is working abroad, then one is in davao, then left behind is me and my friend, Irene, yet we don't see as much as we wanted because of work, family...

Maan March 14, 2013 at 10:09 PM  

I really agree with you. Just a few years after graduating, my friends and I barely see each other na. What more in the next years? But it really pays to make time for these mini-reunions.

Jellybelly,  March 15, 2013 at 3:15 AM  

I think he got all those stuff through all right. Sometimes US customs are not consistent too.

Marie March 15, 2013 at 5:25 PM  

I barely see my friends na rin. My world revolves around work, home and family...

max March 15, 2013 at 6:09 PM  

ay, naiinggit naman ako, i rarely see my friends too...namiss ko sila bigla

Rizza March 15, 2013 at 7:58 PM  

That's what Facebook is there for, I suppose. It's where I see, meet and greet old and forgotten friend, even family members that I haven't seen in a while. :)

I miss Conti's. Your photos look so yumm!

January/Janzcrystalz March 16, 2013 at 12:56 PM  

Because of busy schedules and living away from home meeting old friends is difficult now a days. I hope see some of them when I get home. :)

Jellybelly,  March 17, 2013 at 4:11 PM  

I guess facebook helps but most of my friends aren't on FB. I dont check it much myself. Got fed up with KSP posts and status messages. Nothing beats face to face for me :)

Jellybelly,  March 17, 2013 at 4:12 PM  

Me too :)

Post a Comment

Share |