Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

The Sound of Music at the Newport Performing Arts Theater

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Who has not watched a movie or performance of the Sound of Music? Well, me! It's so funny. I had it confused with Mary Poppins which is what I watched over and over in my childhood. I was telling my friends that I was going to watch it with the Twerp and asked them what the story line was about. They were incredulous! Like, what?? You've never seen the Sound of Music?? Well, never. I know Mary Poppins and Polyanna. I said Mary Poppins is about a singing nanny taking care of several kids and played by Julie Andrews in the movies. Isn't it the same story?

Photobucket

Anyways, we were fortunate to get tickets at a discount to the Sound of Music performance at the Newport Performing Arts Theater. It was fifty percent off so I said why not? Via will like the singing. I looked up the story on the internet so I could explain if Via had any questions about it. Indeed Via enjoyed the show, especially the scenes with little Greta. Sometimes she would stand and dance to the singing.

Not being familiar with the theater, I didn't know the actors except for Captain von Trapp played by Audie Gemora as the lead. However, it was Ariel Rivera who played the captain this time. I think he was good at it. The children were all adorable and Maria, Joanna Ampil, was marvelous. I also loved the butler and the maid who provided the laughs. I enjoyed it as much as Via did. I remember my mother bringing me to watch ballet and other performances at the Cultural Center when I was Via's age and how amazed I was at everything. I do hope there will be more shows for children to come.

Just before the intermission, Via said she was hungry. Gosh! It's been two hours and we hardly noticed. Food and drinks were not allowed and I did not bring any with me. During the intermission, we went to buy snacks. All they had were cookies and such. Via chose a small pack of wafer, probably because it was pink. Do you know how much that thing cost? P60! What did I expect? :) At least it appeased Via's hunger and she was able to concentrate on the rest of the show. The whole show was three hours including a fifteen-minute intermission.

Photobucket

I'm curious though, do you think the von Trapp family made it across the alps into Switzerland on foot?

18 comments:

margheritarocks,  May 31, 2012 at 2:19 AM  

Classic ka talaga, hija! Sound of Music = Mary Poppins? Winner! For the books!

Spanish Pinay June 1, 2012 at 12:06 AM  

Ako naman, I haven't watched Mary Poppins hehe. I love going to theaters but we can never afford that when we were young. I've been to a theater just 3x maybe.. and one of them was a ballet performance of the story Don Quixote. I was chosen by my elementary school to be the one sponsored (I was 9yrs old by then) :-D I had my mouth open the whole time!

Spanish Pinay

admin,  June 1, 2012 at 5:08 PM  

I was just amazed who quickly they changed the sets. Ang galing!

leira June 5, 2012 at 4:17 PM  

i love the sound of music!!!!

Jessica Cassidy June 5, 2012 at 5:14 PM  

awww! what a cutie she is Mommy behind all the nuns :-) hope that she had fun at this musical show.

Pepper Tan June 5, 2012 at 6:59 PM  

My daughter and I saw this in November. We enjoyed it immensely! As we were leaving Newport, we found ourselves humming incessantly to the SOM songs :)

Vera June 6, 2012 at 2:19 AM  

I wanted so bad to watch this because I grew up singing the songs and watching the movie over and over and over. Sa tinagal tagal ng run, hindi pa rin ako napanood. Kainis! Kainggit :)

ceemee June 6, 2012 at 4:34 AM  

I wanted to watch shows like these. Hopefully one day when the children are bigger.

Gigi Beleno,  June 6, 2012 at 6:26 AM  

I have seen the Sound of Music (film) several times as in over and over 'coz I really love it. The sound of Music with the singing nuns is something new to me. I hope I can get to watch it as well.

Paula June 6, 2012 at 7:19 AM  

That's my favorite! I watched it all the time at ABSCBN when I was a kid. hehe

Do you think my little boys would love watching this too? I haven't taken them to the theater ever.

khyutee June 6, 2012 at 7:23 PM  

i also watched SOM and i love their performances and songs :)

http://khyutee.wordpress.com

Allan June 6, 2012 at 8:30 PM  

I used to watch this in TV in the afternoon. Telenovelas in the afternoon are not yet the trend. Good story.

Pearl June 6, 2012 at 10:38 PM  

I'm sure Via really enjoyed the show. I would have wanted to bring my kids there, too bad, they're now grown ups and I'm not sure if they will still appreciate it. :-)

admin,  June 7, 2012 at 12:26 AM  

There were lots of little boys watching and they enjoyed it :)

Farida June 7, 2012 at 2:15 AM  

This must have been a great show! A classic that will be loved by all ages :)

Lalah June 7, 2012 at 7:04 AM  

I love the sound of music. I hope they will consider bringing the act here in Cebu.

Shadz June 7, 2012 at 7:07 AM  

Aww, your little girl seems to have enjoyed the show. Did you? Hehe, all the Maria and Mary Poppins confusion now cleared up? The Sound of Music is all a blur to me. Be glad you can even re-tell Mary Poppins in a nutshell. :D

Post a Comment

Share |