Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

A Bad Scare

Monday, November 28, 2011

Nothing is more scary for a mother than her child getting sick I woke up one morning to see Via breathing a little too fast. I decided to give her ventolin through the nebulizer. I asked her aunt who's taking care of her to give her ventolin once more at lunchtime. When I got home after work, her breathing was worse. Even her stomach was heaving with the effort to breathe. We went to the ER at Medical City. She was given ventolin again as soon as we got there. There is a pedia section in the ER and it was full of children. Her breathing was checked through a breathing monitor which indicated she was not getting enough oxygen. After nebulizing, Via had a blood test done. She was given ventolin through the nebulizer twice more, then we were told she had to be admitted. She had bronchial asthma.


Photobucket


She was connected to an IV. I remember last time she had a blood test, she did not cry when blood was taken and she didn't cry this time either. It looks really awful on a toddler though. Through all this I was communicating with P who was in Jakarta by BBM. I so love BBM. I just got my Blackberry two days ago and it helped me through this tough time. I took pictures and videos of Via and sent them to P by BBM. Doctors in the ER can make mistakes and it was calming to know that he was there to guide me and help me understand what was going on and what had to be done.


Photobucket


Photobucket


We stayed in the ER for about 5 hours because there was no private room available and Via had to have an x-ray. The hospital was full. While at the Admitting section, I overheard a mother being told she was number 16 on the list and there were no check outs expected that night. The earliest check out would be lunchtime the next day. What! I didn't want to spend the night in the ER even if Via did have a bed and cubicle. So I asked if maybe there was a ward available. After some checking, I was told there was an available bed in the ward and I took it. After getting her x-ray, we were brought to the ward on the 6th floor. I have never stayed in a ward and I had an idea that it would be cramped and dirty and noisy. I was really surprised to see that it was very clean and spacious. The bathroom was roomy as well with a shower stall (with hot and cold water), and a toilet for male and female. It was very clean with each cubicle having 2 trash bins emptied regularly.


A resident under Via's pediatrician came to see us that night to check on Via and her pedia also came in the morning. The x-ray result said she had pneumonia but that was expected because she had difficulty breathing.


Photobucket


Photobucket


Finally getting some rest. The effort to breathe has really tired her out. We stayed there two nights because she had to be nebulized every two hours. When she improved, we got clearance to go home and continue treatment at home, this time at 6 hour intervals which was manageable at home.


I'm very happy with Medical City. This is where I gave birth and I've been satisfied with their service every time. Prompt meals, efficient nurses, and efficient billing/check out. It took me all of 5 minutes to settle her bill.

1 comments:

lina November 29, 2011 at 12:25 AM  

Glad to know she is discharged and at home now. Take care, Via.

Post a Comment

Share |