Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

Toddler Talk

Monday, July 18, 2011

The Twerp is quickly picking up more and more words everyday and it's a source of amusement for us. Not that we let her see how amused we are of what comes out of her mouth.

She can now tell you how old she is. How old are you Via? I'm two old, holding up two fingers. We hide our smiles, it sounds like she's too old.

When being shown how to do something, she will say: I'm do it!

She used to say Min if she wants milk, now she says it correctly, miLK, with such an emphasis on the "LK" like she's still practicing how to say it.

Of course she still cannot pronounce words perfectly so some words come out funny like:

Pluto = Plutol

Lion = Laynon

Water = Watah

Orange = Onen

In the building where we live, guards and storekeepers call out to her when she passes by, Hi Via! After she walks past and the person is behind her she would ask, "Who dat?" with her eyes going very big and round.

But it's not only Via that's a source of my amusement. Daddy who's Indonesian has picked up Tagalog after staying in the Philippines a few years. He taught himself using learning Tagalog apps for ipod/ipad. And he's picked up phrases from Filipino friends.

While walking in the street, we saw a traffic police flag down a motorist who apparently made a traffic violation. P said, Huli ka balbon! (means something like Gotcha!) I thought, huh? where did he hear that, I haven't even heard that expression before.

Or he would be telling me about his day, something that he found ridiculous, he would say churva talaga (means BS)! Wow, he's learned gay lingo!

I wonder how I would fare teaching myself Bahasa Indonesia. All I know until now is Selamat Pagi and Terima Kasih. People I know who have been in Indonesia though say it's easy as it's very similar to Tagalog. Hmmmm let's see then.

15 comments:

joyfulmom July 18, 2011 at 2:59 PM  

:mrgreen: ang saya! kids are really funny when they're starting to talk pa lang. I remember my son rafael, he calls mani (peanut) manok. my other son juan calls ilong, as bulong...ma i blog nga yun...thanks for visitng my site.

Kim Beaulieu July 18, 2011 at 5:43 PM  

Out blog hopping. Nice to meet you. Feel free to stop by my blogs. Kim
http://losingitlikealunatic.blogspot.com/
http://cravingsofalunatic.blogspot.com/

Nancy L July 18, 2011 at 6:56 PM  

Very sweet blog! :grin:
My son used to say "Don't "ell" at me" He couldn't say "yell" Now when I raise my voice, he still says jokingly (he's 16), "Don't ell at me"
I'm a new follower from the blog hop!
Hope you'll hop by and visit my blog too!
Have a great week!
nancy
http://stylendecordeals.blogspot.com/

lina July 18, 2011 at 9:51 PM  

It's easier to pick up the lingo when one is surrounded with the language, rather than learning it in a classroom. :razz:

Via is so cute when saying all that! So, she's two old or too old, again? :wink:

carinamodella July 18, 2011 at 11:41 PM  

Toddlers do really having difficulty uttering words with an "S", "L" and "R". Good work for your twerp :)

Pearl July 19, 2011 at 12:42 AM  

grabe, Via is soooo funny and cute talaga! Izah and Faye were so amused also... :smile: I hope she doesn't ask you "who dat" whenever she sees me in the office... :lol:

admin,  July 19, 2011 at 12:46 AM  

Ninang Pearl, may manners naman, di nya pinakita that she asked who dat :D

Kimberly July 19, 2011 at 4:37 AM  

I really wish that i could speak another language...well as a Mom I guess I'm pretty fluent in toddler-ese ;)

Christine July 19, 2011 at 5:58 PM  

I love how you translated the words. It's fun when kids learn how to talk. I miss that stage. Thanks for linking up to the NOBH.

LaVonne July 19, 2011 at 8:37 PM  

It is so cute to hear the words toddlers speak. My Princess is 3 and she still has many crazy words and ways of pronouncing things.

Thanks for sharing!

Enjoy your week,
LaVonne @ Long Wait For Isabella

arlene July 19, 2011 at 9:41 PM  

you forgot pipo = slippers :lol:

that "huli ka balbon" phrase also got me thinking when i read my cousin's comment in one of my posts. Apparently, there is a local song with that title sung by Kamikaze :smile:

admin,  July 19, 2011 at 9:58 PM  

Ay oo nga Arlene, actually it's "plipol" hehehe....Really, there's a song huli ka balbon :)

Pink MagaLine July 20, 2011 at 6:58 PM  

To hear a gay lingo from a 2 yo is funny. My daughter doesn't know any gay language tho. Hihi.

Alice Law,  July 20, 2011 at 11:00 PM  

LOL interesting, guess u are expecting a chatter box in ur near future!

Lisa~~ July 29, 2011 at 5:57 PM  

Your daughter is just precious and her words, adorable. Thank you for visiting my blog and I hope that you'll make the Zucchini & Spinach Lasagna.

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

Post a Comment

Share |