Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

Mommy, Mommy

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

I wonder how long before my daughter gets over separation anxiety. It's funny that she doesn't get upset when Daddy or I leave for work. Because I've been reading up on separation anxiety, I began a ritual early on to kiss and hug before I leave and say, "See you later"! I guess this helped her understand that Mommy leaves in the morning but will always be back in the afternoon.

It's a different matter when we're home. I cannot leave her even for a moment. She cries when I'm out of her sight. She cries even if she can see me but I'm a few steps away. I don't understand what causes her to get upset. She would also get this way with Daddy. And she gets very upset when Daddy leaves for duty.

She even wants to go with me or Daddy when we go to the bathroom. When she's left outside of the bathroom she peeks in and keeps on calling Mommy, Mommy or Daddy, Daddy.

So I warn her in advance, if I have to go out of the room, I tell her, Mommy is going to the bathroom to go weewee or Daddy is going on duty now but he will see you later. A little improvement but not much.

Has this happened with your baby? What did you do?



11 comments:

Pearl August 31, 2010 at 3:49 PM  

She's so cute in that photo!

It's just normal for kids to be like that, and I'm talking from my experience with my 3 kids. Bad news: It will last until they're way past the toddler years.

ourlifeasparents August 31, 2010 at 5:13 PM  

right now, the only time we're leaving our daughter would be when we would go to the market or pay our bills when it can't be done online. and yes, it breaks my heart when i see her crying because she doesn't want to be left behind or she wants to come with us. what we would usually do is to leave her when she's playing or doing something else.

jenskie September 1, 2010 at 1:38 AM  

hi. well, i still dont have a baby :), but i always noticed this kind of behavior to all the kids. They feel afraid, cry and even panics when they don't see their mom or dad around. Yup, this is normal.

-jenskie
http://jennyescano.blogspot.com

Zezebel September 1, 2010 at 9:52 AM  

I don't have a baby yet but my niece also do the same thing if I go back home at Kota Marudu.

Jenny H September 1, 2010 at 10:52 AM  

My daughter wasn't too bad with separation anxiety, but my niece is really difficult. It takes forever to calm her down sometimes when her mommy leaves, and then she comes back she is literally on top of her everywhere she goes. Sometimes distracting her with an activity that keeps her busy long enough to sneak off to the potty is enough, but other days there's just no cure for it.

HiPnCooLMoMMa September 1, 2010 at 2:06 PM  

Ish and Josh were not really like Via, probably because they don't sleep with us and always with the yaya. But I remember kelangan pa namin magtago pag umalis kasi, but that was when they were in elementary na coz they always want to go with us.

jellybelly September 1, 2010 at 2:27 PM  

Pearl, mana sa ninang? :)

Ourlifeasparents, yes it's really difficult. we hardly every leave without her except when we play badminton and of course go to work.

Jenskie & Z, it's reassuring to know that it's normal behavior :)

JennyH, you're lucky. But I guess it depends on the child's temperament :) Hard to get things done sometimes.

Girlie, masama daw magtago, buti pa daw iwan mo kahit umiiyak, pero ikaw naman ang umiiyak inside :)

MommaLira September 3, 2010 at 12:47 AM  

Oh...breaks my heart.

My lil one was like that, too, a year ago. Now she says, "bye mommie... See you later... Have fun!" everytime I leave her at my in-laws.

jellybelly September 3, 2010 at 4:30 PM  

MommaLira: How very grown up of her! Cute :)

Mylene September 3, 2010 at 9:18 PM  

I experience the same with my daughter and I think it is just normal :)

jellybelly September 8, 2010 at 11:14 AM  

Hi Mylene, looks like all mommies went through the same experience. i don't really mind, but sometimes if i have to cook she wants me to carry her while i'm cooking! not content to sit and watch. but i like this stage, more fun :)

Post a Comment

Share |