Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

Teaching a Toddler

Monday, July 12, 2010

Toddlers really do have very short attention spans. Been teaching the Twerp the alphabet, numbers, colors, etc. but it’s tricky. Sometimes, she initiates it by giving me a book she wants to read. In those instances, we are able to read and learn for a longer period of time. At other times when I initiate learning, after one or two minutes her attention is on something else. When directed back to what we were doing, she would cry and refuse.

I decided to incorporate learning with playing and doing things she enjoys. Here are some ways that I hope will help her learn faster.

 
  • The Twerp loves taking a shower, anything to do with water. Whenever, we bathe, I name parts of her body.
  • She now loves brushing her teeth. When brushing, I count the strokes 10 times each for the front teeth, the molars, the tongue.
  • Same when she’s playing with the contents of my bag. We count whatever catches her attention such as coins, pens, etc.
  • At the mall, whenever she picks up an item, I tell her the color.
  • When I’m at the computer, she sometimes sits on my lap and wants to “type.” So I let her by asking her to find the letter I need.

I hope the fun setting will make her more receptive to learning. 

2 comments:

Liz July 13, 2010 at 12:58 AM  

Learning and having fun at the same is really the way for kids that age. :)

HiPnCooLMoMMa July 13, 2010 at 9:43 AM  

wonderful tips Soya!

Look at her, she seems to be enjoying

Post a Comment

Share |