Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

Bangungot (Nightmare)

Monday, June 21, 2010

Somehow nightmare doesn't adequately convey what "bangungot" means in Filipino. The deaths in their sleep of young and healthy men (and women) who have no apparent illness nor were they victims of foulplay are attributed to bangungot. It also sometimes occurs after heavy drinking and going to sleep immediately.  According to stories of old people, it can be prevented if you wake the person before they pee. I don't know how that's connected. One famous case is the death of popular young actor Rico Yan. It's not common in western countries.

Yesterday, Daddy, the Twerp and I had a nap after lunch. I had a dream which started out like a normal day at the office but it was disjointed as dreams usually are. I'm not going to recount the whole dream, just the point where it became scary. I found myself at the top floor of a building (it was like the 35th floor). There were many people waiting to get on an elevator to go down as it was getting late. There were six elevators. Whenever an elevator would open, people would move toward it to get on but it would close before anyone can get in. It came to a point where people would make a mad dash for an open elevator,  pushing other people, knocking over trash bins, and bumping into fire extinguishers on the walls.

When an elevator opened right in front of me, I rushed into it. I saw a female elevator operator sitting on a red stool from the corner of my eye. Somehow I made it inside even as the doors were already half closed. I looked behind me to see a short woman and smiled at her happily. Then I looked towards the front at the closed doors and saw that the elevator operator has disappeared. I froze and felt fear but I remembered I was not alone. I looked back at the short woman just to see her fade into the elevator wall into nothing. I was filled with terror and frantically pushed at the buttons to get the elevator doors to open.  I tried to scream but no sound came out no matter how hard I tried

Then I heard crying and realized the Twerp was also having a bad dream. I tried comforting her but she eventually woke up asking for milk. I carried her to get her milk. She likes to be carried after a nap. That's when I felt wetness between my legs. I had peed from fear! I had a bangungot and I was still alive!

2 comments:

hahpiness June 21, 2010 at 2:53 PM  

oh good thing the little one woke you up. that must be really scary for you, sis. waaah.

hahpiness June 21, 2010 at 2:53 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment

Share |