Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

The Twerp and Separation Anxiety

Thursday, March 25, 2010

My daughter has always been close to her caregiver who started taking care of her at 8 months. I accepted this fact since I'm a working mother although I am happy that Via does not prefer her caregiver over me when I'm there



Whenever I leave in the morning for work, I kiss Via and she waves goodbye with a flying kiss. She usually doesn't cry. So I was surprised when starting last week, she would cry when I left in the morning and when she's put to bed at night and we're not home yet, she would cry calling Mamee...Mamee.

I read that separation anxiety can last up to 2 years old or even more. Some tips on how to deal with separation anxiety from reading up on the subject:
  • increase her freedom to give her a sense of independence
  • pamper her with extra attention just like you would if she were sick, just don't let it go on too long
  • don't prolong goodbyes, say goodbye and leave no matter how hard she cries and never sneak away
  • develop a ritual goodbye
  • always use positive reinforcement and assure her that you will always be back

5 comments:

*MrsMartinez* March 25, 2010 at 10:40 PM  

Your kid looks cute talaga!
xoxo

HiPnCooLMoMMa March 26, 2010 at 9:30 AM  

aaawww ang cute talaga ni twerpy!

jellybelly March 26, 2010 at 9:39 AM  

@mrs. martinez & girlie: thanks :)

*MrsMartinez* March 29, 2010 at 7:24 PM  

thanks for always visiting my blog ha ; )

Evan's Mom March 30, 2010 at 12:45 AM  

She's still adjusting, I guess, as she grows she becomes more aware about the meaning of goodbye. She'll get use to it.

I also had a ritual morning goodbye with my son, and now I can see the benefit of it. He becomes a morning person, never has trouble getting up early for school even after long holidays :)

Post a Comment

Share |