Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

The Toddler Years

Thursday, December 10, 2009

I've been dreading what they call the "toddler years." Mostly, I worry about striking the right balance between discipline and allowing Via to explore and learn by herself. But, since she's only turned 12 months last week, I thought I have a few months to decide on how best to manage my goal.

Just seeing how fast her development has been, I realize I don't have much time. She started walking confidently and unaided at 11 months. Now at 12 months, she's climbing tables, her crib, sliding off our bed by herself. This week her new thing is standing on her rocker and balancing while it's rocking. She gets into all the nooks and crannies of our home. Last week, as she was going through the shoe cabinet, she found dumb bells. These are 2 pounds each.



Still, I want her to keep exploring, try everything, and learning on her own without the word NO, NO, NO, echoing in her ear all the time. So I told her caregiver to just say no when she's in danger. If it's just tearing magazines, breaking stuff..no problem......let her (as her Daddy says). Just watch her closely always so she doesn't hurt herself.

1 comments:

Anonymous,  December 14, 2009 at 1:42 PM  

They say X-gen parents are "helicopter" parents.

Post a Comment

Share |